Thursday, October 13, 2005

Finished "Donuthead"

darkI finished reading "Donuthead" by Sue Stauffacher. Love that cover by C. F. Payne! This is a fantastic book. Really unique characters who really come to life. The strange bond between Franklin Delano Donuthead, a nervous, parnoid kid with an obsession with safety, and Sarah Kervick, a rough and tough bully from a trailer park, is brilliant and sweet. They help each other through a tough time and a little growing up. Beautiful ending. Really sweet.

I can't emphasize enough how alive these characters feel. All of them. From the school bully, to Donuthead's mom, to his younger, tag-along neighbor kid, to Sarah's dad, and on. I would love to see this made into a movie, or a cartoon series, or anything. I think kids (and adults) could really enjoy the adventures of Donuthead and Sarah.

I'm now reading "Shattered Mirror" by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. She's 21 or 22 and already on her 7th novel. So far, this book is really fast paced and exciting. I like the concep a lot. For more info, check out her site (with blog), and her Random House Site.

I also picked up "Colorado Kid," the new Stephen King mystery from Hard Case Crime, which I'm excited about.

And, I got "Hatchet," the classic by Gary Paulsen. I fell in love with that book as a kid and have been itching to read it again.

Now, back to writing. Only a few more days before I'm supposed to be done with my current novel and begin the preparation and outlining for my NaNoWriMo Novel. Eek!!

4 comments:

RAY DILLON said...

It's chugging along. Got caught up with some deadlines. I'm supposed to be done by tomorrow ... I'm not as far as I meant to be ... I'm gonna have to work pretty hard to make that ... and I'm not sure I will.

I also have some projects to do over the weekend, and a family reunion tomorrow. So, life isn't making it easy.

Which is why I'm getting off the internet now. ;o)

Thanks for askin'. Have a wonderful day.

WCTs said...

Hey Ray....take a quick break & post your 20 random things....this originally started with Carla!

Tag you're it...
Lyn's blog

x

RAY DILLON said...

Gah! This isn't a quick break, this is an all day task! Do you have any idea how long it will take me to think up 20 random facts? I get block when people ask me stuff like that.

Thanks a LOT!! ;o)

I'm going to have to do that for a future blog or something.

Gayle D. Oneal said...

A lot of thanks for this impressive and creative post .